Friday, March 11, 2011

I dialed 311

Never Done: Dialed 311

That's my first Never Done that rhymes! (Shehekhianu.)

One day last week I got a notice of a traffic violation that was about to go to civil court, even though it was the first notice I'd seen. Apparently it happened on November 27th, on McDonald Avenue -- which when I looked up the date in my calendar, told me that it happened when Rima, Dana, Dara, and I went to Sandoony (Russian baths.) I couldn't even tell from the form what kind of violation it was -- just that it was a NOTICE OF IMPENDING DEFAULT JUDGMENT.

The form gave me all my payment options, and told me that if I had any questions, I should call 311. And I realized ... I did have a question, and I have never called 311. So I called up and spoke with a woman named Ginger. This might be the dullest blog post of my Never Done year, because to my surprise, nothing really happened. Ginger was very kind, and clear, and communicative, and she looked up the hours of the payment center on Joralemon Street, and she told me the hours, and she asked me if there was anything else she could do to assist me, and then she thanked me for calling 311, and told me to have a great day. Woohoo! Big adventure!!

But isn't that the big adventure we want when we call 311? And why was I so surprised that she was nice and communicative? Is it maybe time that I have a little more faith in this city? I'll work on that. In the meantime, I'm getting out of here and heading to Maryland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment