Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cheese Sandwich Lost

Never Done: Met one of Josh's college roommates. Not only did I meet him, but he and his wife hosted us over night, on a moment's notice, the night after they returned from a 2-week trip to Italy. AND ... they integrated us into a dinner along with two of their daughters, a granddaughter, a sister-in-law, and two nieces. Spending time with B was a view into Josh I had never had before. At breakfast the next morning, he came down with a stack of parodies that they wrote in college (Harvard, class of 1969.) One of them was called Cheese Sandwich, Lost -- a hilarious parody of Milton's Paradise Lost, based on the in-joke that one of their roommates lost a cheese sandwich and couldn't stop complaining about it. My favorite line was something like, "Wrapped in wax. Wax, the stuff of Icarus's fiery ascent." I'll get the real text and post it, so you can see the actual brilliance, and not the diluted and mis-reported brilliance, of Josh and Bob in '69.

A little Never Done context that I haven't yet explained on this blog: I am a person who has held many jobs, and done many things. This is not a project for a very young person, because by definition a very young person has never done many things. It is also not a bucket list, which I think of as for people who are at or near the end of their lives -- because of either age or illness. It is about short and long-term goals, and it's also about, as I wrote before, awareness: being able to notice when something new is in my path. It's also about choices. There are things on my Never Done list that I don't intend to do, and there are things that scare the crap out of me, but that I might just have to consider. Examples? I've never shot heroin, and I don't intend to. But I might have to consider sky diving, joining a synagogue, or this new idea I just had that is so fucking ambitious that I am afraid to even say what it is. (But it has to do with television, in case you want to keep me honest later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment