Thursday, November 4, 2010

Write a screenplay in 21 days

Never Done: Write a screenplay in 21 days

I recently moved into a place with tons of bookshelves. In my last place, I had a small pile of books in the bedroom -- only room for the most current -- and the rest were in storage. About a week ago, Josh and I spent an entire day in the storage locker, going through it to see what we wanted in the new home, and I chose one box of books, labeled Writing, Writers, and Screenwriting. When I opened the box, this was on top: Viki King: How to Write a Movie in 21 Days. I've had this book for years, and have never used it -- never even read it.

But it was on the top of the box, so I took it out and read the first couple pages. Her approach is completely different from my usual approach. It's very loose and unstructured. She has a method called the Inner Movie Method, and she directs people to write a Random Draft. I am not a random screenwriter. My (super talented) writing partner Steve will back me up on this. I structure, structure, structure. So along comes this woman and tells me to write a random draft? Why, I've never done that before. Why, I should try it.

So I started writing a new screenplay. Actually, I started doing the exercises in King's book. She has 58 pages before she asks us to write page 1, and I got through page 30 in one one-hour session. So let's say I get through page 58 in two more sessions, and start writing my random draft on Saturday. I should have my screenplay by the day after Thanksgiving. (My screenplay is about someone from Massachusetts who moves to Maine, and her journey to be completely accepted there. I think it'll be a romantic comedy. Maybe just a comedy. Maybe more like a dramedy.
It's called From Away.)

And just to hedge my bets, in case I want to write a celebratory post on the day after Thanksgiving, or in case I crash and burn and I don't get to claim that I wrote a screenplay in 21 days, here's another one:

Never done: Played ping pong at the Armory Y. Twice. First with Nikki -- super fun, and a great reminder how much a simple thing like hitting a ball back and forth can pull our attention away from our worries. Later with Josh -- who knew he was such a menace at table tennis? (As it turns out, his friends from summer camp. Apparently his reputation dates back to when he was 8 years old.) What was extra great about this is that the Y is so close that I got to work out, come home to a late dinner, visit with Nikki, get more work done, and THEN go back out to play ping pong at 10:30 PM. It's like having a giant rec room next door. Wanna come over and play?

6 comments:

  1. Jenny I am loving this project, and your writing about it. I can't wait to see all the new things you do, and the things you want to return to and do again. Your brain pathways are going to be all rewired and refreshed by learning new tasks - I bet this will be immensely helpful for your screenplay writing.

    ps. on Thanksgiving, you can say that you helped save lives by eating pie! Unless you've already done that before. Thanks for the order and the support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw those ping pong tables the other day and have been wondering. Did you need to reserve them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nina! I don't think I have ever saved lives by eating pie before! Plus -- the 100% reason I ordered sugar cream is that I have never had that kind of pie before (and also it sounds really delicious.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rimme -- you don't need to reserve them. But you might be able to -- there's always been an empty one whenever I am there. You give them ID, and they give you paddles and a ball. And if you accidentally step on the ball and crush it, they are nice to you when they give you a replacement. (Not that I have ever done that...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops -- sorry for the spelling typo in your name, Rimma!

    ReplyDelete