Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sniffed noses with a llama

Never Done: Sniffed noses with a llama
Tshuve: Brooks and Jeannie's new year's clothing swap and quiche party
Tshuve: Gabrielle and Diane and Michael

I tried to go to bed before midnight on New Year's eve. As far as I can remember, I have never done that, as an adult. Also, I thought to myself, "What better way to start the year than to actually get enough rest?" But it was not to be.Two of the five of the party did go to bed early, and just as I was on my way, I got persuaded to play another game of Scrabble. 

And as often is the case when I push past my first wave of sleepiness, I had a hard time sleeping once I went. I tossed for a long time, fell asleep, and then woke up around 4 AM, and couldn't fall back asleep. I did all the right things -- which means that I basically did nothing. I didn't get up to read. I didn't get up to wander. I didn't get up to play online Scrabble. Instead, I tried to relax. But by 5:30 I was still awake, so I got up and decided to write a blogpost for the new year. But that was also not meant to be, for just as I turned on my computer, the screen went black. It's done that before, and after a minute or two, it comes back on. So patiently I waited, and I tried again, but nothing. By the time everyone else was up, I had fallen back asleep, and when I woke up again, I tried my computer, but it did not turn on. 

It was hours before I told anyone. It felt like the wrong thing to say on the first morning of the new year. So instead of dwelling on it, when there was nothing I could do about it, I went out to help with the chores -- feeding and watering the horse and llamas with Isa. Well, I didn't really help Isa -- I more talked with her and she scooped manure and spread wood chips and measured out hay and broke up the ice in their water buckets.

When we went to feed the llamas, one of them got very interested in me, and came close, close, close with its nose, and sniffed me. I know llamas can be nasty and spit, but I had a feeling she wasn't going to be a jerk, that she was just checking me out. She sniffed for a long time, up close, and as soon as she got the information she was looking for, she turned her head and lost interest. Oh how I wish I could be that clear and matter of fact! To not worry about what others are thinking, to just get the facts, ma'am, and move on. Not always, I know. But sometimes, to just feel free to take care of business without taking care of everyone. 

I had wanted to do a polar bear plunge for the new year, but couldn't find one in Portland (it turns out they do it on February 13th -- why?) So after we fed the llamas, I pulled the ice chunks out of the water bucket with my bare hands, and pretended it was a polar bear finger plunge. I even said the shehekhianu over my iced fingers. It felt good to shock myself like that -- and especially after a sleepless night, I felt very awake.  Which I imagine is the point of jumping into extremely cold water on the first of the year. I think I would still like to get that jolt, so I'm thinking about doing it on my birthday. Who wants to join me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment