Saturday, June 25, 2011

I ordered dinner with GrubHub

Never Done: I ordered dinner with GrubHub

I spent some time today thinking about all the things I've done this year, and how many of them I've come to integrate into my life. Every week I have a quart of homemade soup in my fridge. (This week promises to be either strawberry soup or gazpacho.) I've discovered that I am a pretty good shopper if I just don't try the clothes on in the store. (99% of the time, they fit when I get them home -- I must have a pretty good eye.) I'm obsessed with Battlestar Gallactica. I fell in love with food sculpture, and can barely wait for next Chanukah, so I can make more food menorahs. And maybe most importantly, I run my shortcomings through an ethical framework on a daily basis. Then there are things I've tried this year that I don't intend to keep trying. I gave a cat Prozac. I took a draping class. Even though I am consumed (literally -- I still seem to have the consumption, only without the weight loss) with triathlon training, I can barely wait for the triathlon to arrive so I can stop training for it!

One of the things I tried this year is to download iPhone apps when I want to, even if they cost money. And as a result of that, I ordered take-out dinner using GrubHub -- which is an application that knows all the food delivery places that will deliver to your location at the time you are looking for some delivery. Now, I say this as if I order delivery all the time, when in fact I rarely do. I'm more of a cook for myself kind of person. But I was hungry, and I knew there wasn't much food in the house, and I wasn't going to get home til about 6, which isn't that late, but it is late if you're already hungry and there's not that much food in the house. Plus, if you're already thinking about how you have to get up at 6 the next morning for a 2 1/2 hour triathlon training that you're not enthusiastic about but you're trying to summon enthusiasm because that's your mussar practice this week, and also about the vaguely inappropriate thing that happened at the doctor's office earlier and how you're going to balance out getting good medical attention with speaking up and saying that it was inappropriate. If you're thinking about all that, and hungry and there's not much food in the house, then it seems like it's maybe a good night to order take-out.

But if you don't do that very often, and you don't really know where to order from, what do you do? You go to GrubHub, and you type in Indian, or Pasta, or Organic, and you get a list of nearby places that cook the food you want that are available to deliver. And their menus. So when you're standing in the pharmacy waiting for your prescription to be filled, you can order dinner and you can know that it will arrive to your home just after you do.

Oh, thank you, modern amenities! You bring convenience and wonderment and coconut shrimp to the end of my weariest days.

Also, thank you Marriage Equality visioneers, activists, senators, and volunteers. I wrote this post before I stayed up watching the NY Senate live feed (never done) and before we won marriage equality in New York state.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wish I could give up giving the cat Prozac!

    ReplyDelete