Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I took Zofran

Never Done: I took Zofran

I got seasick on the ferry to Provincetown. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. I'm pretty prone to motion sickness, and I've never successfully found a remedy. Normally I'm pretty safe on ferries, because they tend to be big and stable, but the Provincetown ferry we took is smallish and goes really fast and randomly swerves, as if avoiding a dead skunk on the road. I spent a little bit of the weekend worrying about the ride home, and then I remembered that I should practice Patience: Do not aggravate a situation with wasted grief, which is to say that worrying about getting seasick wouldn't actually alleviate my seasickness, but it sure would put a damper on my weekend.

But before I got that clarity, I mentioned to Mich that I was worrying about it, and she -- nurse practitioner that she is -- said, "Oh don't worry about it. We'll get you some Zofran." And once again I realized that it's not actually wasted grief if you are telling someone who can actually help you DO something about whatever you are worrying about. But patterns are persistent. I started worrying that the Zofran wouldn't work for me. Or that it wouldn't work on motion sickness, because it's really made for chemo. So I decided to tell Mich I was worrying about THAT now, and she explained that it blocks the nausea receptors in the brain and that it would in fact work. So this time, I stopped worrying for real, and just took the pills when the time came.

And guess what? It worked. I rode all the way back on the return ferry and had no problems. And the sun shone, and the people were happy, and it was good. Omeyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment