Saturday, April 27, 2013

If you're a man at night you gotta be a man in the morning.


I don't think of myself as the person who would get joy from people laughing at other people, especially if it's about some perceived lack of intelligence, but I have watched this now about five times, and it just never ceases to delight. I've spent my fair share of time interviewing Olympic swimmers, and, well, there's no good way to say this, but I can identify with Sheinelle Jones.

On the other hand, since this video went viral, I assume it's only done good things for Ryan's new reality show, What Would Ryan Lochte Do?

And it's provided fodder for late night interviews, like this one with David Letterman, which also brings me no end of delight.

"Which is your strongest stroke?"

"Honestly, I don't know," Lochte answered.

"Is there someone we could call?" Letterman inquired.

"You might have to call my mom," Lochte said.

The host went on to ask, "My God, you've been in three Olympics. Were you aware of that?"

"Yes," Lochte replied, nodding. "Yes, I am aware."

Letterman went on to quiz him on the host cities of each of those Olympic Games, giving Lochte a round of applause when he answered correctly.

Later in the interview, Lochte said, "I just want to bring swimming into everyone's living room. So, bringing swimming awareness…"

To which Letterman replied, "Hmm, swimming awareness. So, that's the show."

"Well, pretty much," Lochte said.

"He's bringing swimming awareness into your living room," Letterman said, to more applause. "Wow, that's pretty good."


I just want to say that I hope Ryan continues to develop this "dumb" persona, in the grand tradition of "dumb" comedians.   Lou Costello, eat your heart out.

No comments:

Post a Comment