Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Portable Fortitude

Protective playing cards. Suitable for Poker. Catromancy. Mojo. Each card hand drawn and unique. One thousand and one uses! Spokecards. Valentines. Cheap health insurance. Prayer flags. Apotropaic charms. Writing prompts.

I have a collection of playing cards. When Mich was here, I took it out to look through it. It's been in storage so long that it feels like the collection lives in its plastic box these days, but I love to have them all out, on display and also for use. My collection is made of all sorts of cards. Flashcards. Playing cards. Baseball cards. Whimsical cards. Most of them kitshy in one particular way or another. Few of them as delightful as my Regular People Trading Cards (collect all 300 billion!) which my friend Cyndi made for me about 20 years ago. She took names from the phone book, and made up salient biographical facts about the people she imagined would have the name, and she painted the people, and she clothed them from clothes she found in magazines. It's a stunning deck. Rarely have I seen anything as original and high-concept as my Regular People Trading Cards. Until Heath introduced me to this deck of Portable Fortitude. They're whimsical. They're frightening. They're prescient. They're detailed. They're beautiful. They're funny. And they're Suitable for Poker. Catromancy. Mojo. Each card hand drawn and unique. One thousand and one uses! Spokecards. Valentines. Cheap health insurance. Prayer flags. Apotropaic charms. Writing prompts.

Available on Etsy or on Carina's website. Here are a couple to whet your appetite.  I am discovering that it does bring me joy to experience other people's artistry. Especially quirky and unique artistry that could really not be created by anyone else.





1 comment: