Thursday, May 16, 2013

They looked back at me, remotely, possessed by intense life.

Gatsby. (The great.)

Industry screening for the editors guild. Tribeca Cinemas. Me, Josh, James, and Jésus (James' BFF). Ran into wonderful friend/production supervisor, just finishing up a new Jim Jarmusch film. Settled in for a screening of The Great Gatsby. I was prepared for it to be visually stunning (it is Baz Luhrmann, after all, who made Moulin Rouge, another glitzy big trajedy with parties and dance numbers) and I was prepared for DiCaprio to be excellent, and I didn't know what I would think about the rest of the film, but what I wasn't prepared for was my actual, audible gasp at the music choice. I am not going to tell you the music choice. I want you to discover it for yourself. But there's a strong, innovative, completely mind-blowing (to me) music choice, and I adored it. I adored it so much that each time I encountered it, I just shook my head in wonder. I can't actually remember the last time a filmmaker took me to a place of such delight and wonder, and filled me with intense life. 

OK, I feel a little bad teasing you like this and not giving you anything to actually listen to, so here you go. This gorgeous song by Sia was playing over the credit roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment